Thursday, November 10, 2011

Manhattan - Day 55

Today I made my way up to MOMA to take in the deKooning retrospective. An incredibly interesting show that spans the entirety of the artist's career. Despite his brilliance, there is, in my opinion, a noticeable drop off in the mid-seventies. Although I think the sculpture that he created during the seventies was really interesting - in fact much more so than the paintings. Still, the fact remains - all the work pales in comparison to the five women painting he created in the 50s.


After the de Kooning exhibited, I took in the rest of the museum and was pleasantly surprised to come upon two of the museum's pieces by Bob Indiana. American Dream #1 and the sculpture Moon. I had walked through the room contain the Pop art and was disappointed not to see Bob represented. Two rooms later I found him grouped with the other artists that lived and worked on Coenties Slip. Bob, who never liked the term Pop art, and doesn't consider himself such, would be happy instead to be grouped with his old friends Agnes Martin, Jack Youngerman and of course Ellsworth Kelly.