Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hail the Holiday Season!

Well Thanksgiving has come and gone and now we are up to our waist in the holiday season. Happily, as of Friday past, Christmas music is socially legal, though I have to admit that since the Sounds of the Seasons cable music channel began the Christmas tunes right after Halloween, I've been a regular listener. Embrace the spirt - faux and sincere, it's all good!

By the way, when did it's all good become interchangeable with no problem? I first remember it from a visit to So. Cal. a few years ago when one of the indigenous surfer types uttered it. I embraced it there as part of the native speak but suddenly it is everywhere and when I received said response in an email from a business associate yesterday I thought to myself that it simply doesn't work here. Here in the east where short pants and flip flops are appropriate - maybe four months a year - the traditional, No Problem, or Don't Worry About It or the slightly more formal - Don't Give It A Second Thought should still be the response of choice. Listen, I'm the least formal guy in the room, the embracer of pop culture in all it's smudged glory, but please, a bit of decorum must reign or we'll have anarchy in no time flat!

Now get out the plastic decorations, inflate those vinyl Santas and Reindeer for the front lawn and crank up the xmas tunes - believe me, it's all good!